So what are some changes you can make to improve your quality and quantity of sleep? Here are some of our favorites - you can find more here:
- Try to get 6-8 hours of sleep/night- research shows it takes that amount of sleep for release of growth hormone, your body's natural healing chemical.
- Don't drink caffeine after 4:00 PM - there are plenty of no-caffeine options available such as some herbal teas, or just good ol' water in the evenings.
- Avoid heavy meals after 6:00 PM - our culture tends to emphasize a hearty meal in the evenings, but in reality, it's best to fuel up at breakfast and lunch and eat a lighter dinner.
- Create a nighttime 'ritual' - try to go to bed at around the same time every night, and have a 'ritual' in which you do the same things in the same order so that your body knows its time to shut down.
- Do not watch TV or play video/ cell phone games for an hour before you plan on sleeping - this sort of brain activity is the exact opposite to the brain waves needed for rest.
- Eliminate all light sources from the room - consider your cell phone, computer, and even the glow of your digital alarm clock.
- For each night that you manage to get 6-8 hours of sleep - 1 ticket per night up to 5 tickets
- Commenting on this blog post or the Rubin Family Chiropractic Facebook page - 1 ticket per site